Tuesday 24 June 2008

Tactical Sick Day and Interviews

I woke up this morning and felt like crap. I'm just so run down. I have a heavy chest, a constant sniffle and a constant headache. So... I called in sick to work.
I've only ever called in sick once in my whole life. I just don't usually get ill, and I'm sure I'd feel horribly guilty for dropping everyone else in it. this job is different though, because if I'm not there noone would really notice. I've kind of lost that spark I had in the first week, because now there's nothing really for us to do. We've observed lessons, we've completed most our tasks, and now we just get the feeling that we're getting in the way.
I decided that I'd rather take a day off and get myself better, instead of just carrying on and making myself worse. The last thing I want is for me to be ill for my graduation.

So it was a tactical sick day.


This afternoon I got a call from a company I applied to for a ski job this winter season. I have an interview - woop woop! So that's 2 interview's lined up now; at least one of them has to want to employ me, right? I quite like interviews...
I couldn't get them on the same day, but I have one on August 12th, and one on August 13th, so I'll spend the night in London. I got a bit excited and invited friends to join me... It'll be nice for us to spend some time together, and everyone loves a night out in London, so hopefully some people can make it!

Mum went and put a downer on the whole thing though. The dates of the interview happen to be when they are in America, and I have agreed to look after the dog while they're there. Instead of calling to congratulate me, she called to find out what I was planning to do with Tess. As if I am incapable of finding someone else to look after her for 24hrs! I'll walk her on the morning of the 12th, a neighbour can check on her in the evening and the next morning, then I'll be home that evening to walk her again! She's old and decrepit and now doesn't even like being walked, so it's not like she's an energetic puppy bouncing around the place.

Mum and Dad just don't seem to be able to be happy about my French Alps plans. They've known for the past 6months that I want to spend this winter season working in the Alps, yet all they do is find problems with it. They seem to have absolutely no confidence in my ability to get off my ass, and I've given them no reason to think that about me.

So I snapped at Mum and put the phone down. Now she's going to be annoyed at me and I'll end up apologising.

No comments: