Sunday 26 October 2008

It's art, darling.

Last week the 4yr olds made Leaf Sculptures. The batteries died on the school camera so I had to whip out my phone to capture them before the wind destroyed them. Oh my god; it was hilarious! A child would grab my hand and excitedly drag me over to photograph their "sculpture". They'd suddenly stop and say "There it is!" and point at the ground. Some were okay... a face, a flower. But most were just, well, a pile of leaves.

So, here's a game for you. When you get into the office on Monday morning, after you've read your emails and made a cup of tea, have a guess at what these beauties were supposed to be...

Somewhere in there there's a tree, a fire, a mountain, a man, a flower and 2 faces.

For bigger versions and the answers... go to my Flickr.

4 comments:

Trainee teacher said...

That's a bit mean laughing at childrens' work like that, at that age isn't it more about the meaning they attach to what they have done rather than how you judge it as art?

Let me guess, you are going to be a secondary teacher?

Alasdair said...

Given that the kids are four, I think most of those are actually pretty good. The man is maybe a little bit more in the abstract taste, but the mountain is pretty...mountainous, and the fire has a certain flame-like attribute...

rosiewishes. said...

I actually only took photos of the good ones... Most of them really were just leaves on the playground that they hadn't attempted to 'sculpt' - they just wanted a photo taken. And with regards to the mountain and fire, I don't think they set out to make A Mountain, or A Fire, they made something and then named it when I asked them what it was!

But no, upper primary. I love them really, and I'm not really as cruel as my blogging would have you believe.

Trainee teacher said...

hey, I'm sure plenty of artists have made something then named it when someone else took an interest =D.