Wednesday 8 October 2008

Swim Swim Gym.

I planned on meeting Caroline this evening for our weekly gossip and wine binge, but it hasn't quite worked out. Yesterday evening Alasdair mentioned he was off to see a film at Warwick Arts Centre. I nearly dismissed the invite; I'd got stuck into another World Of Work Rut whereby I think I can't possibly enjoy myself on a school night and believe that spending the night in front of the TV is the sensible thing to do. It is the sensible thing to do, but it's not what I want to do! So I acquiesced and had a lovely evening reading subtitles (seriously, it was lovely. But he's already written about the film better than I would.)

Anywho, after thanking Alasdair for getting me out of my work-hermit lifestyle, I appear to have slipped back into it already! Well, kind of... I have called Caroline and cancelled tonight's frivolities, but for legitimate reasons (namely, that I'm knackered after swimming, and Dad took forever to cook dinner, and I didn't want to walk in the dark, but also didn't want to ask Dad for more lifts.)

This afternoon's swim was slightly fantastic though... It just so happened that an old friend of mine was life-guarding. I've not seen him in 2yrs or so, which meant he gave me a huge hug (the kind of hug where your feet leave the ground). But then his presence meant my swim was pretty good, because I had someone to show off to. I only really push myself when I've got either someone look good in front of, or someone I want to beat. I realised that when I run on my own I'm much more likely to give up and walk, and if I'm swimming on my own I don't do half as many lengths!

This realisation also made me understand a bit more why people go to gyms... I always thought I'd get bored at a gym, just staring at the same walls, but this evening I noticed there were lots of hot men. Surely they'd serve as a distraction? And surely they'd spur me on to show off a bit and push myself more. I think I may be getting myself gym membership soon!

No comments: